About the role :
This is a 24 month, new role with unaccompanied terms based in Ouagadougou with a salary of Grade 7 €58,646 – €65,162
You will report to the Head of Emergency Technical Unit and will line manage all staff in country. We would like you to start asap.
Your purpose :
You will have overall responsibility for the development and management of the Concern country programme. This is a new country programme in response to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Burkina Faso and you will ensure the design, delivery, management and oversight of emergency programming. You will also ensure the country programme is in line with Concern Worldwide policies, procedures and meets Core Humanitarian standards. You will lead the Senior Management Team and represent the organisation with government, donors and other appropriate bodies – including clusters and the HCT, international agencies and the media.
You will be responsible for :
- Leading by example and supporting the Concern team to respond effectively to the humanitarian crisis ;
- Ensuring staff capacity, organisational structures and programme approaches are fit for purpose and able to effectively deliver programme objectives ;
- Engaging with major organisational advocacy issues, providing support and leadership for key strategic campaigns.
Security Management :
- Establish and maintain an effective safety and security management system to meet agreed standards, including the appointment of security focal points and security focal groups ;
- Overall responsibility for security management: ensuring that the security situation is reviewed constantly, a Security Management Plan (SMP) is developed and updated as necessary ;
- Ensure all staff are aware of and adhere to the Security Management Plan.
Risk Management & Accountability :
- Ensuring optimal use of financial resources; managed in a transparent and accountable manner, consistent with Concern’s and donor policies, systems and procedures, delivering quality results and demonstrating value for money ;
- Responding robustly to any suspicions or reports of fraud, code of conduct abuses or other misdemeanours, and adhering to Concern’s policy and procedures on investigations ;
- Ensuring Concern complies with all relevant national legal and administrative requirements ;
- Identifying all risks and implementing mitigating measures in conjunction with the Country Management Team ;
- Ensuring a functioning Complaints Response Mechanism within all programmes ;
- Lead and manage the implementation of safeguarding policies and procedures; and response to breaches of the Concern Code of Conduct and associated policies, in collaboration with the Safeguarding Office.
Programme Development & Implementation :
- Manage country programmes in line with organisational policies and procedures, and with external standards such as the Red Cross/Red Crescent Code of Conduct, Sphere, and the CHS standard ;
- On-going development and management of the funding strategy for the country programme ;
- Maintaining an awareness of the current and potential future economic, political and social situation within the country and region ;
- Supporting the Programme Director to ensure programmes are designed, implemented, monitored and evaluated in line with Concern Worldwide policies, incorporating a results-based management approach ;
- Enabling an organisational culture that supports effective learning, sharing and continual improvement of programme quality.
Support Systems & People Management :
- Supporting and guiding the Systems and Finance functions to ensure effective and efficient administrative, logistical and financial support is provided to staff of Concern Worldwide ;
- Supporting the CFC in budget preparation, revision and monitoring; ensuring that budget holders actively manage their cost centres and prepare accurate budgets in line with the annual plan ;
- Ensure that Concern’s IT systems provide efficient and effective communication and data management for the organisation, linking with Concern Worldwide systems ;
- Supporting and guiding the HR Manager to ensure there are competent and empowered human resources, in a fair, diverse and efficient workplace ;
- Ensuring the National HR Manual and HR policies are in line with organisational and national legal requirements and all staff are aware of and comply with these ;
- Undertaking initiatives to ensure a good working environment and team spirit so Concern is perceived as an employer of choice for national and international staff ;
- Ensuring job requisitions are prepared on a timely basis for international positions ;
- Ensuring staff Performance and Development Review’s (PDR) are undertaken for all staff with appropriate training, development and career opportunities identified.
Representation & Networking :
- Creating a strong and visible profile for the organisation, as a leading actor in response to the humanitarian crisis ;
- Representation of Concern nationally, maintaining coordination and networking relationships with the government, donors and other actors in the country, especially the clusters and the HCT ;
- Engaging appropriately with the media to ensure that Concern’s values and programmes are highlighted ;
- Representing Concern Worldwide in strategic national and international meetings ;
- Ensuring relationships and formal agreements with the government are maintained and updated.
Your skills and experience will include :
- Relevant post graduate qualification ;
- Five years’ experience in senior position with an international NGO ;
- Emergency assessment and response experience ;
- Management of diverse and multi-sectoral programmes ;
- Previous work in a similar context ;
- Management of a diverse team of senior staff ;
- Experience of security management in insecure contexts ;
- Management of systems and finance functions, including knowledge of donor compliance ;
- Working with major international donors and securing external donor funding ;
- Knowledge and experience of incorporating key approaches across programmes ;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a confidence to engage and represent Concern at public fora, media and donors ;
- Delegation, time management and prioritizing skills ;
- Computer literate and good knowledge of Word and Excel ;
- Excellent English and French ;
- Empathy with Concern’s mission, vision and goals, and our target group ;
- Willingness to travel frequently to rural field locations and spend periods of time away from the capital in which the CD position is based.
We would also like :
- You to be flexible and reliable ;
- You to be culturally sensitive and empathic to others ;
- You to be able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines ;
- You to have some sense of humour.
- Salaire : 55326 € – 61474 €
- Basé dans le pays : Burkina Faso
- Titre du poste : Directeur de pays
- Type de contrat : Contrat international à durée déterminée non accompagné
- Date de clôture : 5 mai 2021